UNESCO 2016 Banks of the Seine – Musée d’Orsay
For more than 40 years, the UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization ) lists the sites that are part of the “world heritage cultural property sites”. The aim of this program is to classify, name and preserve the cultural goods and natural assets that matters for the common heritage of humanity.
The Musée d’Orsay is located on the left bank of the Seine. It is housed in the former Gare d’Orsay, a Beaux-Arts railway station built between 1898 and 1900. The museum holds mainly French art dating from 1848 to 1914, including paintings, sculptures, furniture, and photography. It houses the largest collection of impressionist and post-Impressionist masterpieces in the world, by painters including Monet, Manet, Degas, Renoir, Cézanne, Seurat, Sisley, Gauguin and Van Gogh. Many of these works were held at the Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume prior to the museum’s opening in 1986. It is one of the largest art museums in Europe.
The museum building was originally a railway station, Gare d’Orsay, constructed for the Chemin de Fer de Paris à Orléans and finished in time for the 1900 Exposition Universelle to the design of three architects: Lucien Magne, Émile Bénard and Victor Laloux. It was the terminus for the railways of southwestern France until 1939. By 1939 the station’s short platforms had become unsuitable for the longer trains that had come to be used for mainline services. After 1939 it was used for suburban services and part of it became a mailing centre during World War II.
- Metal: 900 Fine Silver with Gold gilding
- Weight: 22.2g
- UNESCO Series
- Year of Issue: 2016
- Mintage Limit: 5,000
- Diameter: 37mm
- Finish: Proof Quality
The Reverse is common to the series and is devided in two. The UNESCO logo and demonination are located on the left and a plan view of the monuments of the site appearson the right. The two parts are connected by the route of the Seine through Paris.
The interior part of the nave of the Musée d’Orsay is shown, its arches embellished with a fine application of gold. The Orsay clock features at the centre of the coin, a reminder of the building’s revious purpose: a train station. This too is highlighted with gold. The Petit Palais’s exceptional facade, spanning over 150 metres, is portrayed in the lower part of the coin. Above the building there is a close up detail of the main entrance gate. An application of black rhodium accentuates the curving lines of the two buildings. The black rhodium & gold deposit is only available on the silver denominations.
This stunning limited edition coin is presented in a classic Monnaie de Paris box with a uniquely numbered Certificate of Authenticity. A perfect gift for lover of Art, Architecture & Paris.